This monumental piece by Jorge Oteiza was the first sculptural work to be located on the Public University of Navarre campus. It displays a simple structure having a metal base and three verticalparts, all in different planes and positions. The rest of the sculpture is the empty space, the nothingness, this obsession pursued by Oteiza throughout his productive career as a sculptor. The work is in homage to architect Francisco Javier Sáenz de Oiza (Cáseda, Navarre, 1918 - Madrid 2000), a personal friend of the sculptor and the designer of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Arantzazu, where Oteiza left what is perhaps his most immortal work.
Public University of Navarre
Homage to Sáenz de Oiza. Division of space by two opposing dihedrals
Jorge Oteiza, 1959
Sculpture: 305 x 525 x 420 cm.
Installation: 1996. University campus.