This monument comprises a lower lantern seated in a fountain basin, decorated with fourteen figures carved in relief and symbolising the glorification of the career of this tenor from the Roncal valley in Navarre and the grief caused by his death. The coats of arms of Navarre are added to the figures in the front, whilst those of the Roncal valley are at the back. The statue of Julián Gayarre tops the monument, portrayed in his interpretation of the opera entitled The Pearl fishers by the French composer, Georges Bizet, at the Royal Theatre of Madrid on the night of 8th December 1889. In 1947, the Roncal-born sculptor, Fructuoso Orduna was commissioned by the Provincial Government of Navarre to create a sculpture dedicated to Julián Gayarre (Roncal 1844-Madrid 1890), a world acclaimed tenor who initiated his career in the Pamplona Choral Society. The sculpture was inaugurated in July 1950, with a cycle of opera at the Gayarre Theatre, and with a ceremony attended by the Vice president of the Provincial Government of Navarre, José María Arellano, the mayor of Pamplona, Miguel Gortari, and the mayors of the Roncal and Aézcoa valleys. The event was enlivened by the regional dancers from Ochagavía and Estella, accompanied by the pipe players. Subsequently the Pamplona Choral Society and the St Celia Orchestra, directed by the master Luis Morondo, played a Jota (a typical regional tune).
José Javier Azanza
Taconera park and zone around the Baluarte
Monument to Julián Gayarre
Fructuoso Orduna, 1950
Architect: Víctor Eusa. White marble and stone.
Ensemble: 1200 cm. Lantern: ø 1000cm. Figure: 250 cm.
Installation (unveiling): 5th July 1950. Central walkway of the gardens of the Taconera.