de Castro, Felipe
Born in Noya in 1711, he started his training alongside Sande and subsequently continued in Santiago de Compostela in the workshop of Miguel Romay. He visited Lisbon, Sevilla and, on the advice of Fremin, he travelled to Italy. From 1763 onwards he held the position of sculptor to the royal chamber and general director of the Academy, whilst he was also responsible for the sculptural decoration of the Royal Palace of Madrid, to which he contributed with a number of sculptures. He passed away in Madrid in 1775.
Sources of information:
Morales y Marín, j.l., «La escultura española del siglo xviii» Arte español del siglo xviii, T. XXVII, Madrid, Espasa Calpe, 1984.PLAZA, F. de la, El Palacio Real Nuevo de Madrid, Valladolid, 1965.